Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Language of Love...

Yesterday, I went to the local bookstore to see if I could find a certain book that I had been hearing about for years. I was in luck, they had one left. It is a  New York Times #1 best seller and has sold over 5 million copies, meriting the Platinum Book Award from the Evangelical Publishers Association. 

"The 5 Love Languages"was written by pastor, speaker, and author Dr. Gary Chapman. He has done extensive graduate work and holds several degrees from some of this nation's most prestigious universities.

The book captures the essence of this blog  by stating that a person can feel loved when you are speaking their love language. The  five basic love languages are comprised of the following: words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. 

Because I feel that each of these languages deserves some attention, I would like to feature one of the languages each week. This week I chose to feature words of affirmation.

My friend Liz says that her love language is words of affirmation. I asked her when she first realized that fact. She said "probably after I got back from Omaha where I had very little affirmation and was quite miserable as a result and didn't understand why...." She went on to say "My boss in Arkansas made me feel so cherished...I have many things from him, whether notes or memories, that make me smile still."

Dr. Chapman states,when using words of affirmation as a love language, "Within that language... there are many dialects." One of the dialects included is encouraging words.  The word encourage literally  means "to inspire courage." It is very difficult in a job situation, to feel courageous or even cared about, when someone is being critical of you.

Tone is another important key here. Someone can say I'm sorry, but there can be different meanings behind the way those words are said. If spoken in a sarcastic tone, the result will be less than beneficial.

Our words are a powerful force in the lives of those we care about. They can either build up or tear down. The way we choose to use them can mean the difference between someone feeling demeaned or loved.

                                                             Me & Liz

4 comments:

  1. Very nice post. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. I've never thought about the idea of languages of love. I guess that's why love has eluded me... One thing I notice about the on the writing: We need to use the AP style and when you want to quote someone like: Dr. Chapman states,... it should be said. But other than that thanks for the inside info. I look forward to the other languages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog always makes me think about things in a different light. It's probably because you have a somewhat abstract theme. I also noticed the quote thing Sam pointed out but overall a very good post as I have nothing else I would change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the feedback it really means alot, I will work on the quotes=)

    ReplyDelete