Wednesday, April 13, 2011

To Be Known...

Whoever coined the phrase, "To be known is to be loved" could not have been more accurate. In fact,when this blog's (soon to be infamous;) question was posed to my bff Vida, she responded by saying: "When people genuinely want to know me...".

I couldn't agree more. Have you ever been asked the question "How are you?" only to be cut off mid-sentence because the person was just being "polite" and wasn't really interested to begin with? Have you ever posed the same question and received an ear full of information that you weren't bargaining for?

The need to be understood and accepted seems to be innate in all of us, but an equally driving force is the fear of rejection. There is an indescribable comfort and relief that is achieved when all of your skeletons have shown their bony faces and the other party hasn't even flinched. It is one thing to be accepted for talent, good looks, or wealth, and an entirely different one, when those things are lost and the other person is still standing beside you.

A few years back, V and I attended a small Bible study group. V decided to leave the small group for reasons she only disclosed to me. One of the group's leaders was troubled by this and asked me why she was leaving. At the time, I thought the leader was mature enough to handle those reasons. I was mistaken. The stormy triad that ensued could have ended my friendship with V; but, because she knew my heart, and trusted my intentions, I retained one of my most cherished relationships. I am so grateful.

One of Vida's favorite tunes, is a song that was sung by Jackie Wilson, entitled 'To Be Loved.' Motown legend, Barry Gordy Jr., co-wrote the lyrics, "Someone to care, someone to share, lonely hours and moments of despair, To be loved, to be loved, Oh what a feeling, To be loved."


                                                                V and Me

6 comments:

  1. Hey..

    Interesting post.. the nosy part of me wants to know what that Bible study conflict was all about, LoL.

    One question.. what's with the big space between the end of the post and the comments? Is there supposed to be another photo there? If so it's not showing up..

    Also, you might want to consider putting the photo of you and V either at the very top of the post, or else moving it down a paragraph. It looks a little awkward somehow with just that one lonely little paragraph hovering up above it. xP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love that song. My favorite re-enactment of it is when Eddie Murphy sings it on Coming to America.
    Your blog is very inspiring. I've recieved that no matter what people in a higher position may think, I must continue to make decisions for myself even if no one else understand or agrees with them. GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that fact that you're blog is almost like a glimpse into your thoughts and feelings on love and acceptance. Also your post allow for a lot of discussion and input, which is always good. Maybe next week you could bring up a topic and invite people to give feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the feedback and I like the bring up a topic idea Gem City=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony, I would fix the white space problem only I don't know how??? Thank you for the inspiring comment Royce that is what I've been praying for=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try moving the cursor to the very bottom of the page and then "backing up" until it rests on the same line as your last line of text. That should work.

    ReplyDelete